The light spectrum above (and explained in detail below) is a basic representation of the many complex functions present within the human body. The changes in colour (from Red, Orange, Yellow, Green etc) represent the increasing complexity of human dynamic function: with the physical body always being at the centre.
Consider turned this spectrum on it's end with Red at the bottom. The first and simplest Red building block is required to create a foundation of support for a more complex Orange element that sits above; and so on to Yellow in the same logical sequence all the way up to Violet. Without this graduation of Structural support from below, none of the more complex elements above would exist. On the flip side, each of the more complex Functional elements descending through the spectrum (starting from Violet) bring the essentials of Life to the less complex building blocks below. Without this creative intelligence descending from above, the lower elements would eventually disintegrate and return to their original base elemental state (returning to the earth as dust).
Such are the complex reciprocal inter-relationships between structure and function within the human body - and an explanation of the origins of Health.
"The body must function as an integrated whole, if it is to realise it's potential for Health".
Please now consider the elements of the Health Spectrum explained below, giving particular consideration to the relationships and inter-dependency between each of the adjoining elements.
Non-visible INFRARED: Quantum physics of subatomic particles
RED Physical elements of the periodic table (C, Ca, Fe, H, O, Na. K, Mg etc): the building blocks of the various tissues of the body (bone, muscle tissue, connective tissue, neural tissue, epithelial tissue, fluid and fat etc).
ORANGE: Body organs and systems (such as the musculoskeletal system, brain and peripheral nervous system, heart and circulatory system, skin, respiratory, renal, digestive, reproductive, hormonal and immune systems etc).
* When functioning optimally, the red and orange aspects are perceived by the Osteopath as a relative fast physiological rate of rhythmic movement within a person's body - all life contains movement. This movement extends from a person's centre to the boundary of the skin.
YELLOW: Consciousness: Primitive Brain (Autonomic control of body organs, and self-preserving emotions) and Homosapien Brain (Self-aware intentional movement, reasoned thinking, language and an individualised perception of self i.e. persona/ego).
* An Osteopath can perceive the prickling buzz of the sympathetic fright/flight nervous system out of balance inside a person’s body - stress is the origin of many diseases. Fascilitating parasympathetic resting/repairing function is key (which happens naturally when when there is integration into colours above and below).
GREEN: Soul: The ‘engine room’ of one's individual self. Character that is deeper than personality. A contextual awareness of ‘Self’ and ‘others’ that utilises symbolism rather than analytical thinking, and often functions beyond conscious awareness. A capacity for deeper decision making, attachments, purpose and meaning in life. Physiologically expressed as a living bio-electric field (fluid body) surrounding and guiding the physical body - contains the original blueprint of all physiological functions listed above.
* When functioning optimally, this aspect is perceived by the Osteopath as a medium rate of rhythmic movement within a person's body. This aspect of physiology extends from a person's centre to the boundary of their bio-electric field.
BLUE: Community, relationship or any immediate supportive environment: Group or tribal support, work or home environments that support (or undermine) the individual. Negative relationships or environments will compromise overall Health.
PURPLE: Nature: Every human being is an integral part of nature, and is reliant upon it’s relationship and support.
* When functioning optimally, this aspect is perceived by the Osteopath as a slow rhythmic rate of movement within a person's body. This 'Long-tide' extends from a person's centre to the horizon.
VIOLET: Spirit: A Central Stillness. The place from which all movement arises - in order to change directions one must first know what it means to be still. A doorway to a greater presence within oneself (Higher Self). The driver and creative presence of one's life (as opposed to the engine room of the soul), that is characterised by freedom of movement and a decentralised non-attachment to all things (The individualised "me" and "I" is replaced by the perception of an inseparable "One"). This element is an indispensable aspect of treating babies, children and during pregnancy, and is a common foundational knowing in indigenous cultures.
* When functioning optimally, this aspect is perceived by the Osteopath as dynamic stillness (where the regular senses no longer function). This Dynamic Stillness extends from a person's centre to beyond the horizon.
Non-visible ULTRAVIOLET: Quantum non-linear time/space.
WHITE: God Consciousness/enlightenment (a coalescence of all colours within the spectrum).
* It is worth mentioning that as Westerners, we are more familiar with seeing Red as the most important material element of this spectrum. Both indigenous and other cultures might consider the Violet end of the spectrum more concrete and meaningful in their experience.
"The objective of the doctor is to find health, anyone can find disease"
~ Dr A.T. Still
(Founder of Osteopathy 1876)
Thankfully, no health professional has to be perfect themselves in order to assist in your journey towards Health. They simply need to have found their particular gift in their chosen field. Is is then your job to choose a practitioner who can help bring Health into greater expression within you. You may be looking to find Health, or you may simply want to get by. Either way, Osteopathy is available to help.
If finding Health is a priority for you (we hope it is), it works best to not get too hung up on “trying” to find it. Don’t worry, Health is always present; and it will find you.
The above description of the Health Spectrum is over-simplified for the purposes of clarity - and gives little explanation of how Osteopathic treatment might actually help. Following the next link on the homepage will offer further explanations.